One of the important aspects of SEO is using proper title tags. A title tag should help you get conversions! The title tag is the title of the web page you see in search engine results. If a person isn’t attracted to the title tag, it is highly likely you won’t get their traffic to your website. Traffic is important, but making sure you use title tag best practices will help you get conversions. Conversions will result in a sale or lead and ultimately, that is what you want for your business!
Here are 5 SEO title tag best practices:
- Google allows you to use approximately 65 characters in the title tags.
- Make sure each title tag is unique from any of your other web pages!
- Good SEO title tags include good keywords which people are searching for.
- Make title tags appealing to the reader! Good keywords alone may not be sufficient. You want to get the reader’s attention so they click on your site using a call-to-action.
- Make sure your title tags are related to the content on your webpage. Use specific terms for what is on your page page. Don’t generalize!
One thing I’d like to clarify is that there is a big difference between title tags and page titles. These are two separate things even though they sound the same. They can be the same words but many times you can use different title tags and page titles depending on content, terms, and getting the searcher’s attention.
Title tags are often classified under the term “meta tags.” Meta tags are what helps search engines and search results know what content is on each of your web pages.Meta tags include title tags, description tags and keywords. Google focuses on the title tags and description tags and ignores keywords tags. But at the same time, other search engines will take note of your keyword tags. I’ve seen many websites ignore using meta tags….specifically title tags! Make sure to research your meta tags and ALWAYS add a title tag to each of your web pages!